Saturday, August 18, 2012

2012-2013 school year starts NEXT WEEK!

We're all excited about the start of school next week.  We will have two HUGE changes from last year. 

First the most obvious....our newest little schooler. Luckly, he is a very happy, content baby and his brothers are pretty patient with him.  We'll get the hang of it!!

The other huge change is with my teen....he will be starting public school this Monday.  Not having him around every day is going to be SUPER weird but it's something he really wanted to try.  We went to his open house last Thursday to meet his teachers and get his schedule.  He is SO excited!  We only got to meet his English teacher, the new principal, and a few support people.  I love his English teacher but boy is he in for a tough year!  Ha!  She'll be good for him though.  I love the principal and the other people we met as well.  It's a small school and they seem to really care about their students.  They are excited to have such a TALL teenage boy on their basketball team.  I'm excited for Nathan even though I'm a little sad that he's going to miss out on so much with us.

Earlier this year, I planned out the new school year before we agreed to allow Nathan to try public school so of course we won't be using any of his materials. I'm still happy with all of our choices and I've added a few things that we had yet to decide. We will be using almost all WTM recs which was one of my goals for this year!!

First, we'll be trying Elemental Science for the first time.  I'm SUPER excited about it! We're starting with Earth Science. We won't do the Astronomy portion since we covered it in detail a couple of years ago.  Once we complete Earth Science (and if we really like Elemental Science), we'll move on to Chemistry. 

We're also adding Writing with Ease and Winning with Writing.  Well we will probably wait on adding WWW until we get used to WWE.  I want the boys to learn how to write well.  I love writing but I've struggled over the years with teaching Nathan.  This is just one area that I can't teach!  After reading some posts on the WTM boards, I think these two will work well together. 

Another addition that I can't wait to start is Scripture Adventures.  I've looked at it for a couple of years now.  Couldn't decide where we would start.  Didn't know if we would stick with it. Well Currclick has an AMAZING sale going on right now so I snagged the WHOLE kit and kaboodle for less than $25!!!! After printing out the first half of the Old Testament, I'm IN LOVE. I think the boys will love it too and learn SO much!!

I didn't get around to finding something for logic so we'll just add something to the mix later in the year. We have plenty to keep us busy right now anyway.

We will start fall co-op in September.  The boys will be in some super FUN classes.  More on those later.

Super excited to get started!!!  Nathan's first day of school is Monday.  The littles and I will have a Not-Back-to-School breakfast and then go to a Not-Back-to-School swim party.  Then we will jump right into it on Tuesday!!  Looking forward to some structure, schedule, and a solid plan. Ha!

So this is what the year looks like right now:

Kaleb 3rd grade
  • Spelling Workuot
  • Continuing cursive with A Reason for Handwriting
  • R&S English
  • WWE & WWW
  • Math Mammoth with CSPM supplements
  • Story of the World & WTM reading list
  • Elemental Science Earth Science
  • Spanish (pretty light...mostly using Usborne materials)


Gabriel 1st grade
  • OPGTR
  • WWE 
  • Spelling Workout A
  • First Language Lessons
  • A Reason for Handwriting
  • Math Mammoth with CSPM supplements
  • Elemental Science (with Kaleb)
  • Story of the World & WTM reading list (with Kaleb)
  • Spanish (with Kaleb)
Drake preschool
  • Letter of the Week
  • WTM Reading, Writing, & Math suggestions
  • history, Spanish, & science with K and G as interested
  • LeapFrog videos
Together-
  • Apologia What We Believe series as well as individual bible time.
  • Art Appreciation (probably also from Confessions of a Homeschooler)
  • Music Appreciation (from Confessions of a Homeschooler)
  • Galloping the Globe (we've pretty much abandoned this but Kaleb REALLY wants to do it so I just need to make it happen. Ha!)
  • State Study (again from Confessions of a Homeschooler)
  • Morning calendar time
  • Seasonal/holiday/history/literature/science arts and crafts
  • Many, many hours per week spent with our noses in BOOKS! Kaleb will have plenty of history and lit books to keep him occupied (mostly I'll read the lit books to Kaleb and Gabriel). Everyone will have plenty of *fun* books to read every week, and I will be reading many history, science etc books to whomever will listen, mostly the three littles (well I guess by then it will be the FOUR littles!!!), throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment