Monday, January 12, 2009

Curriculum notes for next year.

I'm thinking about changing from Seton's history to Story of the World. I like the Catholic perspective found in Seton's history books, but it just doesn't cover enough for my liking. We have been working this year in early America and will end somewhere in the early 1900's. Then next year we'll start with the Ancients. After reading some reviews on SOTW, I really think my boys will like it. I can also supplement with Seton's version, I suppose, to continue the Catholic influence.

I'm also considering Spanish instead of Latin for foriegn language. I know Latin is the language of choice amoung classical homeschoolers, but I have experience with the Spanish language so I think it would be easier for me to teach. I haven't decided completely on this yet, though. My oldest is totally not interested in either. All of my boys are interested in sign language after a co-op class this past fall so we'll continue to learn a little more for fun.

We will be switching to Saxon for math. I do not like Rod and Staff's math curriculum at all.

I think we'll stick with Seton for reading, English, and my oldest's phonics.

We will not stay with Rod and Staff science. To be honest, we haven't even opened the book since the first month or so when we found out it doesn't fit us. I'm thinking Apologia for next year.

I LOVE, LOVE Wordly Wise and will continue with it. I use the words in each week's lesson as spelling words so we won't be needing additional material for that. Once I realized we could use WW for spelling, I put the Seton spelling book away.

That's all for now. If, by chance,someone who reads this has some of these in good condition to sell at a good price, let me know!! I'm all for a good bargain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment